Friday, December 21, 2007

Aamir certain of Taare Zameen Par’s success




Aamir Khan’s first directorial venture Taare Zameen Par is on the verge of release. However, like often happens, its release date will clash with that of the purely commercial film, Welcome. The fact that industries current hottest paid, Akshay Kumar and Katrina Kaif are in the lead in Welcome and it is an out and out comedy film as compared to Aamir’s Taare Zameen Par which deals with a sensitive topic.

Doesn’t this fact upset Aamir? This is what Aamir had to say; “I am quite confident about this film. I think it is a very safe film. It will be very popular and people will like it very much… Of late I have been keener towards off beat stories and they are usually successful at the box office… Also, though I think I am a good parent, this film has brought me closer to my children.”

After the audience’s positive response to off beat films like Iqbaal, Apne, Chak De, Dhan Dhan Dhan Goal, may be there is actually a less tapped market for ‘different’ films. Aamir says, “There was a time when we used to think that if we made a film without the age-old formula, people will not like it. I never believed in it though.”

Aamir Khan leads quite a seclude’s life. He is hardly seen in the regular Page 3 parties and neither does he take part in any Bollywood award ceremony. Recently he even refused to get his statue done at Madame Tussauds. He explains, “I am closely associated with the industry. Every human being has a different priority and want. Mine is to entertain and keep my audience happy.”

Ask him if he’d rather continue as an actor or a director, he says, “If I see a story which I want to direct, I’ll take it up. On the other hand, if I feel like acting in the film, I do that. It’s not like people have not acted as well as directed. Look at Raj Kapoor, Guru Dutta and Shantaram.”

He goes on to talk about his forthcoming film, a remake of the south Indian super hit, Ghajini. He says that the title has not been decided yet. Well, this confident actor has proved his mettle as an actor. It’s just a matter of hours before we get to see his directorial prowess.

No comments: